The Museum

The Santa Maria Valley Historical Society Museum was opened to the public and dedicated to the Pioneers of the Valley on January 20, 1974. It was built on surplus city property from funds raised by members of the Society. The Museum preserves the history and nostalgia of the City of Santa Maria and its environs with pictures, artifacts and valley memorabilia.

The displays progress chronologically from one period to another, starting with the Chumash Indian culture and then progressing through the Mission, Rancho and Pioneer periods. The 20th Century Classroom, with displays appealing to young visitors, occupies a prominent position.

The Museum is administered by the Santa Maria Valley Historical Society. It is open to the public free of charge, Tuesdays through Saturdays from 12:OO noon to 5:00 p.m. closed on Sundays, Mondays and national holidays. Special guided tours are available upon request. To find the Museum from U.S. 101, take the Main Street off ramp. Turn west on Main Street, then left on Broadway to 616 South Broadway. For further information about the Society or the Museum, please send requests to the mailing address: 616 South Broadway, Santa Maria, CA 93454, or telephone 8051922-3 130, FAX 8051922- 1540. Email:

All monetary gifts, memorials, and donations including gifts of historical materials with the support of the citizens of Santa Maria Valley will continue to ensure the success of both the Society and the Museum.

Memorial Plaques are still available for special donors of $1,000.00 or more. All gifts are tax deductible.

Be sure to visit the newly installed G. Allan and Marian M. Hancock Room, the Cattlemen's Room and view the photographic history of Santa Maria style barbecue.